2013 News Release
Aug 27, 2013
Bluetooth® v4.0 Low Energy Compatible Wireless Communication LSI Featuring the Industry’s Lowest Current Consumption
LAPIS Semiconductor Co., Ltd., a ROHM Group Company, has recently developed 8-bit microcontrollers equipped with an oscillator circuit that provides more than twice the accuracy compared with previous models.
The ML610Q101 and ML610Q102 utilize motor control technology optimized for controlling rotation in single-phase fan motors. In addition, the industry-leading high-accuracy oscillator circuit reduces rotational variations, while multiple timers minimize noise.
A hysteresis differential comparator*１ is also built in that allows a Hall element to be used, contributing to lower costs. Additional features include a compact 16pin package 4mm X 4mm, ensuring compatibility with small fans, and high noise immunity (cleared the ±30kV level in IEC61000-4-2 noise testingr*2 ), making them ideal for applications with demanding noise requirements, such as industrial equipment.
In recent years, as electronic equipment becomes more compact, devices such as PCs and servers require smaller cooling fan motors. CPU servers that process large amounts of data often utilize multiple cooling fans, and if there are variations in the rotation of each fan a buzzing sound can be generated due to differences in the wind noise frequencies. Also, if the change in current during ON/OFF switching in the motor coil current control is too large, irritating electromagnetic noise can result. Overcoming these obstacles requires smaller microcontrollers with high accuracy rotational control.
In response, LAPIS Semiconductor has developed an integrated oscillator circuit and a regulator for logic power supply that does not require external capacitance, providing a two-fold improvement in oscillator accuracy compared with conventional models – the highest in the industry. This minimizes rotational variations with single-phase fan motor rotation control, while numerous timers provide quiet, high efficiency performance through soft switching*3operation. As a result, the number of parts required can be reduced, since there is no need to add an external oscillator or capacitors for the logic power supply regulator. Plus, the compact package enables smaller mounting boards to be used.
Carefully designed circuit and layout have enabled high noise immunity, making it possible to clear the ±30kV level, which exceeds the measurement limit of Class 4 (±15kV), the highest class defined by the IEC61000-4-2 standard established by the IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission). This makes the LSIs suitable for use in industrial equipment with stringent noise requirements
A complete support system is provided, including an ML610Q102 reference board and software development environment that make it easy to begin evaluation of the ML610Q101 and ML610Q102. Manuals, support tools, and other materials are also offered on our website (registration required).
- *1 : Hysteresis differential comparator
- A circuit designed to detect faint signals from a Hall element that generates a voltage proportional to the magnetic field. It can remove noise and stably detect the switching of magnetic poles.
- *2 : Measured via indirect discharge on LAPIS Semiconductor’s reference board
- *3 : Soft switching
- A conduction method that improves efficiency and reduces magnetic noise generated from the motor coil by smoothly increasing/decreasing the current to the motor coil during magnetic pole switching.
- Equipped with LAPIS Semiconductor’s original high-performance 8bit RISC core
- High-accuracy oscillator (8.192MHz): ±1% (25°C), ±2% (-10°C to +85°C),
±2.5% (-40°C to +85°C)
- External capacitance for logic power supply not required
- 4kB Flash (ML610Q101), 6kB Flash (ML610Q102)
- 256B RAM
- 8bit timer × 6 (8bit timer × 2 can be used as a 16bit timer)
- 16bit PWM × 1 with dead time suitable for motor control (16.384MHz)
- Hysteresis comparator with reference voltage and differential input switching × 1
- Comparator with reference voltage × 1
- 6ch 10bit ADC
- Power supply voltage monitoring circuit
- Operating frequency: 30kHz to 8.4MHz
- Operating temperature: -40°C to 85°C
- Power supply voltage: 2.7V to 5.5V
- Packages: SSOP16, WQFN16
- Home appliances, industrial equipment, single-phase fan motors, LED lights,
battery charge controllers, and others
- Part No.
- Sample Shipment
- Already started
- Sample Price
- 100 yen (tax not included)
- Mass Production
- SSOP16: From September 2013
WQFN16: From October 2013
For customers' inquiry regarding this release: please go to the inquiry page
* Information in the press releases is current on the date of the press announcement, but is subject to change without prior notice.
*Please note that the names of companies and products described in this document are the trademarks or registered trademarks
of their respective companies and organizations.